Body appearance has always been a concern for me my whole life. This stems from a condition that not all who know me know that I have. I suffer from a mild case of Pectus Excavatum, or sunken chest. The condition is considered cosmetic by most, but does have some potential harmful side effects. The heart is displaced to the left portion of the chest, and limits full lung expansion. This condition is fairly common, and affects 1 in every 300 people.
Luckily in my case I have a very mild form of this condition. I was born with a mild heart murmur that passed with time, and I didn't require immediate surgery. My parents put off surgery (for cosmetic reasons) since I had a mild form until I was old enough to make my own decision on the matter. I chose not to have the surgery since I wouldn't be able to play hockey or other contact sports. I only suffer about 10% loss of lung expansion (tough to play through sports though) and don't have any long-term side effects.
I took many insults and teasing while growing up because of the deformation of my chest. It took several years and a very strong will to overcome the hazing I took as a kid. I decided when I was young to embrace what I was "given" and used it for some good. Many pranks were pulled in saunas at out of town hockey tournaments, body shots throughout college where great, and I even made $50 when I ate cereal out of my "hole".
When I had to make my the doctor gave me a list of accomplishments that I would never be able to attain:
1. Never run an 8 minute mile.
2. Play competitive sports at a high level, especially contact sports.
3. Bench my weight (whatever it may be).
4. Hold my breath for longer than a minute underwater while swimming.
5. Have a "normal" looking stomach
My childhood doctor was always amazed at how determined I was to prove him wrong! I loved the fact that I was able to correct him on his list an actually accomplish everything that he told me I would not be able to do. He even was there for my first Varsity hockey game (against our arch rival and where his office was - New Prague), saw me pass several of my swim tests, and even witnessed me break the 2 minute mark for the 800 event in track. Each event he was at he had a tremendous smile on his face, a hug, and a handshake that gave me a nickel or quarter (whatever spare change he had in his pocket - a ritual of his at the doctors office).
So why am I bringing this to light now? This spring I hit the gym and pavement out to prove new things to myself. I was going to not only bench my weight again, but use that weight for repetitions. A few weeks from now I should be able to attain this goal (and have that "normal stomach" still). The second is to run a 5k this summer in under 24 minutes. This would be an average of below an 8 minute mile for 3.1 miles. Both of these to be reached at the age of 30 (almost 31) and nearly 20 years after he said I would NEVER be able to do it.
Don't tell this stubborn boy he can't!
I can, and I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm going to take your confidence and apply it to myself. I was diagnosed with PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) (one in ten reproductive women have it), which explains the crazy weight gain and acne--an appearance alteration due to health issues--sucks times ten. No more wallowing in things life deals us--overcome, celebrate. xo
PS: So excited to see you tomorrow! Good luck on your run!
Hey look, a little over a year later, and I've beat the infertile aspect of PCOS. :)
Post a Comment